As of October 26th 2020, a negative Covid-19 test is no longer required to enter Costa Rica
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a hot topic these days for tourists looking to travel to international destinations. We’ve had many guests and potential guests inquire about how Costa Rica is dealing with the Coronavirus, what are the current travel restrictions, and whether they should modify their plans. We have provided links to official government websites and articles so that you can ensure you have the most accurate and up-to-date Covid-19 news regarding Costa Rica.
Entry Requirements for Travelers Entering Costa Rica are as follows:
1. Complete a form online called HEALTH PASS at https://salud.go.cr. This pass will be available 48 hours before boarding. It must be accessed in an updated browser (except for Internet Explorer). An individual form must be completed for every person, including minors. Once this form is completed online you will be issued a QR code. You will need to present this QR code to immigration upon arrival in Costa Rica.
2. Purchase Travel Insurance
The coverage needs to include health insurance in case the traveler requires medical attention due to COVID-19 complications and lodging insurance in case a traveler is required to quarantine beyond their planned stay. This insurance information must be uploaded or entered into the HEALTH PASS in order to be reviewed and approved by the Costa Rican authorities. If more information on international insurance is needed, the Costa Rican authorities will contact the passenger at the email address indicated in the HEALTH PASS.
- International insurance
Traveler must request from their insurer a certification issued in English or Spanish, noting at least three conditions:
1. Validity of the effective policy during the visit in Costa Rica.
2. Guarantee of coverage for medical expenses in cases of pandemic disease COVID 19 in Costa Rica, for at least US $50,000 (fifty thousand dollars of the United States of America).
3. Minimum coverage of US $2,000 for extended lodging expenses due to pandemic illness or trip interruption/cancellation due to illness, which covers the extra cost of the passenger due to quarantine. Here is the link to the most popular international insurance that definitely meets all of the requirements at very competitive rates: Trawick International.
- If you do not have international insurance, it is possible to opt for travel insurance from Costa Rican companies approved by SUGESE (General Superintendency of Insurance of Costa Rica), which offer their services at two Costa Rican International Airports – Juan Santamaría airport in San Jose (SJO) and Daniel Oduber Quirós airport in Liberia(LIR).
- National insurances meet all the requirements to have coverage of medical expenses for illness, including COVID-19, for a minimum amount of $20,000 and coverage for extended lodging expenses or quarantine, due to pandemic illness, for a minimum amount of $2,000.
- Local insurance authorized for travelers can be valued at the following links:
Traveler Requirements Returning to the US
All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States. Options are a PCR test or an Antigen test.
We have three private clinics in Quepos that are offering PCR Covid testing by appointment. Results have been available within 24 – 48 hours, but can take as long as 72 hours.
- Quepos Urgent Care is offering two options:
A) Our guests can have PCR tests administered at Vista Hermosa (house call) at $200 USD per person. Groups 8 or more will be discounted to $185 USD.
B) Quepos Urgent Care office at $160 USD per person or $150 for groups of 8 or more.
- Linea Vital is offering PCR Tests at $140 USD. Telephone 011-506-2777-6868 or WhatsApp to 011-506-6275-4546.
- Hospital Metropolitano Marina Pez Vela is offering Antigen testing at approximately $55 USD. Telephone: 011-506-2519-9733.
New Airport Protocols Implemented at San Jose International Airport (SJO): Aeropuerto Internacional Juan Santamaría Protocolos 2020.